Tuesday, June 8, 2010

b-b-b-bunny patrol!

So yesterday, I noticed that a sweet baby bird has started to make a nest in my birdhouse! I named her Charlie and she has been working hard.  Last night, Stephen and I (and Rocky - later to be known as the bunny hunter) were outside watching Charlie put sticks into her birdhouse...


And low and behold.. I look to the other side of the yard and Rocky has feathers & fur EVERYWHERE! I freak out and thought that he has killed some animal.  (We have birds and bunnies and squirrels in our yard all the time) So Stephen and I go look.. and it's little bitty animals that look like moles! BUT THEY ARE BABY BUNNIES!!!

Ok, so these aren't our bunnies.. but this is EXACTLY what they look like. 

So we freak out and immediately try to make the nest back like it was.  Come inside and do some serious googling about what to do! We are supposed to fix the nest back like it was.. Check.  Created some type of tick tack toe formation on top of the nest to see if the momma comes back (because she only feeds her babies once a day! - usually around midnight). .. Check!


Also, Rocky assumed he had the graveyard shift of bunny watching last night... (he was up ALL NIGHT LONG!)


I called the Wildlife Center this morning... and they can't come get them.  So if the mother doesn't come back to feed them, I may be the mother to fresh new little baby bunnies... We will see!

For more info on the sweet baby bunny nests.. CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment